Model VL-2200-496 is a small VHF 220 MHz Band Antenna (219-220 MHz, 220/222-225 MHz Amateur Radio, 217-222MHz Railroad/Positive Train Control-PTC, 217-218 MHz/219-220 MHz AMTS Bands), designed for ground mobile platforms (vehicles) with height restrictions. Measuring only approximately 4" (10 cm) in diameter and 6" (15.3 cm) tall, this antenna is a very efficient Low Profile radiator. When installed properly on the metal chassis of a ground vehicle, the VL-2200-496 will perform comparably with a full size 1/4 wave monopole antenna. For optimum operation, install near the center of a flat surface, such as the roof of a truck's cab or van with minimum approximately flat dimensions of 30" x 30". We do not recommend the use of a magnetic mount or a trunk bracket mount.
The VL-2200-496, 220 MHz Band Antenna, features a DC shunt connection to the chassis to help protect its attached radio from limited Electro-Static Discharge (you will measure a short circuit when measuring across its terminals with a multimeter).
An electrically conductive chassis/ground plane is required for the proper operation of the VL-2200-496 Antenna. If the intended mounting surface is non-conductive, such as a fiberglass roof, line the underside of the non-conducting surface with a thin foil of any convenient metal (Aluminum is widely used). Ensure that the NMO mount contacts the chassis/ground plane/foil securely.
Model VL-2200-496 is ideally suited as a PTC Antenna (Positive Train Control Antenna) for use on Railroad Locomotives and other Train applications and needs within the Rail Industry
- Frequency range: 217-225 MHz
- Coverage: Omni-directional, low azimuthal ripple (1 dB)
- Polarization: Linear, Vertical
- Gain: +5 dBil (when mounted on a large ground plane - asymptotic gain)
- Nominal Impedance: 50 ohm
- Input Power: 50 Watts CW
- VSWR: under 2.0
- Connector: NMO, Female
- Dimensions: 10 cm (4") average OD x 15.3 cm (6") h -- [OD: 9.2 cm (3.6") at top/11.2 cm (4.4") at base]
- Mounting: NMO connector
- Operating Temperatures: -40C to +85C
- Weight: 300 g / 0.6 lbs
- Shipping Weight: 400 g / 0.9 lbs (shipped individually)
- Requires a ground plane (normally mounts on a metal body)
- Specifications and prices are subject to change without notice
This product is compatible with the following Antenna Accessories:
Specify desired length from drop-down menu
Specify desired connector for the radio end: (usually Type N, TNC or BNC Male)